So easy to make, these handmade felt birds add a sweet and cheerful touch to your Christmas decor.
Here is how to sew them by hand or using your machine:
1. Draw a basic bird shape on a piece of felt (I thought about posting a template but it’s so easy I didn’t want to insult anyone).
2. Put another piece of felt underneath it and cut out the body shape.
3. Cut a little triangle for the beak in a contrasting felt. Be sure to leave enough felt on the thicker end for attaching it to the body.
4. Next prepare a loop of grosgrain ribbon for the hanger.
5. Pin the beak and the ribbon loop in place between the two pieces of felt.
6. Sew around the bird leaving a 1.5″ hole at the bottom for stuffing. Beak and hanger will now be secure.
7. Use a bit of poly stuffing to fill out the shape but not too much as the felt will buckle at the seams.
8. Finish sewing the body shut.
9. Cut two little wing shapes from fabric remnants of your choice and adhere them with no-sew adhesive. Alternatively you can sew the wings on before you sew the body together. If you want to get fancy you can finish the edges of the wings with a blanket stitch and embroidery floss.
10. For the eyes I used a simple french knot embroidery stitch.
Have fun getting in the Holiday spirit!!